Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett or Daly?

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:07:18 -0700 (PDT)

Juri:

<<But we still don't know if Kurosawa knew Hammett. But in the early sixties he filmed Ed McBain's novel - in Finland the film is called "Heaven and Hell", but just now I don't remember what McBain novel it was. Maybe Kurosawa did know American hard boiled literature.>>

This hast to be the one I called "The Bad Sleep Well". I've only seen this movie once, a long time ago, so my title is approximate. I recall that Toshiro Mifune played a very serious police detective in a suit. The movie had a definite "noir" feel.

Did Kurosawa ever write his memoirs? I bet they would be as interesting as his career. As I write about Kurosawa, I realize what an irreparable loss his death has been. A truly independent thinker and film-maker.

Regards,

mt