RARA-AVIS: Re: Blue Lonesome

FICTWRI@aol.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:37:35 EDT

<< I didn't like Blue Lonesome too much, but I think that if one is going to
 praise Pronzini one has to acknowledge all his details--including the detail
 that Messenger is an accountant. His profession defines who he is and
 provides a foil for his transformation into man of action/hero. >>

I on the otherhand really enjoyed Lonesome and thank the list for bringing it to my attention. Blue Lonesome had the classic Hardboiled themes such as the transformation which was pointed out and rule #1 for hardboiled/noir stories
-- The Fresh Start which Pronzini takes our hand on this one on the final pages, "I don't have anything in San Francisco. I can shuck it all...no regrets, no looking back..."

John Weaver, www.pageonelit.com