RARA-AVIS: Sin City

Dave Smith (bloodofkings@hotmail.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:54:42 CDT

I've been lurking on this list for the last couple of weeks, realizing how limited my knowledge of all things hard boiled is and enjoying the discussions. I suppose a brief introduction is in order: name's Dave Smith, I'm 20, and I'm trying to get a degree in English at Sam Houston State. I've been reading hard boiled fiction for the last couple years, and with any luck I'll actually publish some one day.

But enough of that. I was wondering if anyone on the list has read the Sin City comics by Frank Miller. I'm sure their existence is hardly a revelation, but nevertheless I'd like to hear people's opinions on the books. I think they do a great job of presenting hard boiled stories in a graphic format. A particularly favorite aspect of the books is the fictitious location, which allows total freedom for the writer and is a device I've been using in the hard boiled material I've been working on.

So that's my letter of emergence from the lurker's closet.

Dave