RARA-AVIS: Blue Lonesome/Accountants

Mbdlevin@aol.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:06:28 EDT

Pabergin writes:

<< The novel is too fine, and Messenger too sturdy to be confined by small,
 classifying minds.

I didn't like Blue Lonesome too much, but I think that if one is going to praise Pronzini one has to acknowledge all his details--including the detail that Messenger is an accountant. His profession defines who he is and provides a foil for his transformation into man of action/hero. I also thought that his accounting background explained his attention to detail in his investigation.

Doug