Re: RARA-AVIS: the lousy Hammett review in Salon

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

<<This kind of comments on Marguerite Duras is as ill fonded as offensive! very surprising from the usual participants of this list ! Regards, Sonia in Paris>>

Sonia: I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilities. For years, I have had the hardest time with the work of Marguerite Duras. My first assignment as a rookie film critic (!) for a university newspaper was to review her film _India Song_, probably the worst movie I have ever seen. I rate her fiction a little higher but not much. As far as I can see, she lacks literary talent. Hearing someone talk about herself is not automatically an artistic experience...for me, Duras is the definition of high-minded boredom.

Later, when I was asked to review a Chantal Ackerman film, I politely refused. This was a smart decision. I later saw the film on video and it was as putrid as I had suspected.

In any case, now you know my extreme limitations! It may well be a "guy vs. girl" thing.

Regards,

mt