Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett or Daly?

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 23:57:02 -0400

<<Daly was first, but only by a few months: May 15, 1923 of Black Mask, as opposed to the first Op story in the Oct. 1, 1923 issue. Daly's initial outing was with a detective called Three Gun Terry Mack>>

Not so. Daly's first Black Mask appearance was in December, 1922. His hero was an unnamed hard boiled adventurer who understood how things work -- "I don't mind taking risks, but I must be paid accordingly."

Although not technically a private eye, the unnamed hero of "The False Burton Combs" is virtually indistinguishable from Three Gun Terry or Race Williams. Most of Daly's heroes were indistinguishable from one another. He was an extremely limited writer.

But he WAS first. Can't deny him that distinction. PB