Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett or Daly?

Bill Hagen (
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:00:33 -0500 (CDT)

Reed writes,

 Is there a consensus among Rara-avians that Race Williams was the
>first PI? Did Daley's work pre-date Hammett's (I'm going back to my
>reference works)?

According to Ron Goulart, in The Dime Detectives, Daly was first, but only by a few months: May 15, 1923 of Black Mask, as opposed to the first Op story in the Oct. 1, 1923 issue. Daly's initial outing was with a detective called Three Gun Terry Mack, who I guess would be the first of the new breed of detective (haven't read the story, myself). Then Race Williams showed up in the June 1 issue, a special issue devoted to the activities of the KKK.

Bill Hagen