Re: RARA-AVIS: the lousy Hammett review in Salon

Ike Israel (papaike@snowhill.com)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:59:25 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: Mario Taboada <matrxtech@yahoo.com> Sent: Saturday, October 23, 1999 4:13 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: the lousy Hammett review in Salon

> Dismissive criticism of Hammett (as of Hemingway and,
> more recently, of Norman Mailer) is prevalent among
> self-styled "postmoderns" and "feminist" types. These
> people hate those quintessentially modern authors;
> they favor instead confused, self-referential and
> supremely boring narratives of the John
> Barth-Marguerite Duras variety. In fairness to
> Bowman, I don't know if he belongs to these so-called
> "theoretical" circles. Certainly, his article seems
> misinformed and poorly argued.
>
> Why doesn't Salon get a prominent hardboiled writer to
> write on Hammett, someone like Block or Pronzini or
> Gores or any number of people who love and understand
> the genre and its history?

    Mario, write a good review and submit it... They, if it is well written enough, will publish it. Enclose first serial rights, or better yet all rights.