RARA-AVIS: School Daze/Hammett

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:52:17 -0400

Jay writes:

>"Of course, most principals and school board members would probably
>declare "zero
>tolerance" policies for Mickey Spillane books and suspend anyone caught
>carrying
>one, as they do for kids wearing trench-coats now."

Are they actually banning trench-coats in the States now? That ought to really solve all the problems in the schools.

I'm not a member, per se, of my kid's school board, but I am actively involved in both the Governing Board and Parent's Participation Committee of their schools, and I've fought long and hard against any issues of censorship, particularly knee-jerk ones.

Still, now that we know Bill gives out books to his students, it may be worth enrolling. Professor Crider, expect a bunch of Rara-Avians to sign up next term.

By the way, anyone interested in Dashiell Hammett might be interested in this month's P.I. Poll on my web site. It's not great, but it's more fun than root canal, and less fattening than a Big Mac with fries.

Oh, gee, gotta go. It's lunchtime....

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ IT'S OFFICIAL! October is Dashiell Hammett Month. Don't play the sap for anyone.