RARA-AVIS: Mickey Spillane

abc@wt.net
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:50:45 +500

"Of course, most principals and school board members would probably declare "zero tolerance" policies for Mickey Spillane books and suspend anyone caught carrying one, as they do for kids wearing trench-coats now."

Jay's probably right. After all, look at what's happening to the Harry Potter books in some schools right now. And back when I was teaching high school, one of my students got in trouble in Study Hall for reading Ian Fleming. The teacher took it away from him and tore it in half. I'm glad to say that I was a little more open-minded. When he told me the story, I gave him a copy of a Matt Helm book. Probably changed his life.

Bill Crider