RARA-AVIS: Pulping Culture (fwd)

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:17:41 +0300 (EET DST)

I got this through some other e-mail list. Doesn't seem to fit to the normal usage of "pulp" or "pulp culture". (Besides they got Tomas Gutierrez Alea's name wrong.)

Juri jurnum@utu.fi

1. the politics of microbrews

2. cigarette smoking as a symbolic act of defiance against upper-middle class whiteness?

3. the current state of UK politics and "T-Bone Blair's claim to be
"eradicating the forces of conservatism"

4. the film, 'Strawberry and Chocolate, ' by Cuban director Hueierrez-Alea.

5. Economic Polarization in the U.S.

The above are just a taste of what's happening at Pulp Culture. What is Pulp Culture?

</paraindent>

</paraindent>

<bold>PULP CULTURE</bold>: to press, squeeze, knead, or shape the juicy, fleshy, succulent bits of culture, media, and politics.

Pulp Culture is an e-mail discussion list and 'zine, Fruitions, focusing on citical engagements

with and analyses of media/culture/politics. From the fleshy, sweet acidity and pulpy bits of popular media/culture to the tough, bitter rind of Kultur to the tendinous fibers of the political economy, we want to
"pulp culture" from a variety of critical, practical and theoretical perspectives. Our aim,

as well, is the reconstruction of theory. That is, we want to "pulp theory" in order to interrogate its presuppositions and to examine the conditions of its possibility. Discussions at Pulp Culture, then, are intended as interventions in the terrain of ongoing theoretical, cultural and ideological-political

struggles inherent in the production/consumption of media/culture in all its forms.

Currently, we're discussing the politics of microbrews, cigarette smoking as a symbolic act of defiance against upper-middle class whiteness, the current state of UK politics and "T-Bone Blair's claim to be "eradicating the forces of conservatism" and the film, 'Strawberry and

Chocolate, ' by Cuban director Hueierrez-Alea?

To join the fun at Pulp Culture

majordomo@infothecary.org.

In the body of the message type, subscribe pulp-culture.

If you'd like to subscribe to the daily digest version type, subscribe pulp-culture-digest.

To learn more about Pulp Culture check out the rind at http://www.flash.net/~oudies/pulp-culture.htm

See you at Pulp!

Ken Mackendrick@utoronto.ca

Kirsten Nielsen kirsten@infothecary.org

Kelley Crouse kcwalker@syr.edu

Gary Norris strosek@earthlink.net

I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker 'fore you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin', it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. .45 here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could by you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin'. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd. "

~~Jules in the Epilogue to Pulp Fiction

</smaller></paraindent>