RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon

abc@wt.net
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:27:38 +500

I saw several rara-avians at the Bouchercon, including Mark Blumenthal, Ann Theis
(Ann: if you don't like SIX-GUN IN CHEEK, the dealer will cheerfully refund your money), Jim Doherty, and lurkers Rick Robinson and Frank Denton. I'm sure a grand time was had by all.

I wish all of you could visit Milwaukee and go to the big used-book store in the airport or the gigantic store downtown. Among the paperback stuff I spotted: all the E. Richard Johnson novels, all the Malcolm Braly novels, yards of Richard S. Prather and Brett Halliday, quite a few titles by Frank Kane and Frank Gruber.
 All the James McKimmey Dell First Editions. And so on. At the con itself, the dealers' room featured the best displays of paperback fiction of recent years, every copy (and there were hundreds, if not thousands) in beautiful condition
(and priced accordingly, unlike the ones in the aforementioned stores).

Bill Crider