RARA-AVIS: Re: The other, other Smith

A.N.Smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 07:50:06 -0500

Kevin,

Interesting take on how Brit authors get more exposure in Canada than here. Actually, I consider most of the DoNot Press and Mask Noir guys to be on the verge and very good, but even in Britain they get books published in trade paperback on what's considered a small press. We celebrate noir here a little more than that, at least as far as hardback deals that lead to paperback reprints.

I think they could all get a substantial American audience, but ours publishers won't touch them in the way they do Ian Rankin, John Harvey, or Minnette Walters.

You've got tons of people sending you stuff, though, so who's hot out of those folks?

Neil Smith