Re: RARA-AVIS: up and coming hb writers

A.N.Smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:23:48 -0500

I've heard Willard's name mentioned several times, but have only seen one short story from him, not crime/noir. A friend of mine swears Down on Ponce is pretty good. Maybe I'll see now.

Same with Bruen.

"Up and coming" in my mind means the people who have made an impression although they have very little work published. They'll go on to do great things in the crime field because some editor out there happens to "get" what they're doing at the right time, you know? Several people mentioned fit that bill so far. Harrington's interesting because he had a book out from St. Martin but then had to go small press for the next one. DMcM is publishing some fantastic original contemporary stuff that everyone should catch on to hopefully.