RARA-AVIS: Kane, Hamilton and Rice

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:49:27 +0300 (EET DST)

I've just read my first Donald Hamilton ("Murderer's Row", 1962). What's the general opinion on him today? I found the book quite intriguing with Matt Helm having identity problems - it was kind of noir. The end of the book, when the real action started, wasn't equally good.

Now I'm reading Henry Kane's "Corpse for Christmas". Is he still read in the US? Are there any reprints? Kane writes too funnily to my taste (the jokes aren't very good) but he makes up a good plot.

As for Craig Rice, I find her very boring - there are just too much bad jokes. Raymond Chandler hated her - check in MacShane's Chandler biography. Rice used to play piano and recite her poems whenever Cissy and Raymond Chandler were asked to visit. I just can imagine Chandler having difficulties with that kind of thing!

Juri jurnum@utu.fi