RARA-AVIS: Books

Martha Pennigar (msmartha@earthlink.net)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:32:56 -0400

PB, I second your endorsement of Thomas Boyle, having recently come across Brooklyn Three. Great book, plain, unadorned good writing. Very unsentimental, too. Hated to read the third one first, but haven't been able to find the other two. Highly recommended. I liked This Far, No Further, but thought it was very hyper-noir with almost too much style; I did have to come up for air frequently. I second and third everyone's comments on Joe Lansdale as writer and martial arts practioner. Guy has the biggest shoulders I've ever seen. And, after his signing in our store a couple of years ago, he wrote the nicest thank-you note. Now that's what I call a well-rounded gentleman.

Martha