Re: RARA-AVIS: Couplea questions

TERRILL LANKFORD (TOLANKFORD@webtv.net)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:22:50 -0700 (PDT)

I had the great privilege to get to hang out with Joe Lansdale for a good portion of the last two days while he toured L.A. bookstores signing FREEZER BURN and his incredible backlist of titles. He is every bit as fascinating in real life as his work is on the page. Funny, modest, polite, intelligent, decent, or as they say down south - good people. It's hard to believe this mild mannered guy has turned out some of the most merciless prose of the late 20th Century.

I second the suggestion that FREEZER BURN would be a good place to start for the new reader. It's a stand alone and demonstrates Joe's strengths brilliantly. It's quite possibly the darkest (and funniest) book to be released by a major publisher this year.

After that the new reader should seek out his Hap and Leonard series and read them in order. They are wild!

My favorite short story collection of Joe's (that I've read so far) is WRITER OF THE PURPLE RAGE. He said his favorite is BY BIZARRE HANDS so that's next on my reading list.

Joe is signing at Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego today. If any rare birds are in that vicinity, check it out!

TL