RARA-AVIS: Gores's Dead Man

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:08:19 -0700 (PDT)

Let me put in a plug for the novel _Dead Man_ by Joe Gores. I found this at a remainder bin and enjoyed it enormously. It's a tense thriller with a big segment in the Louisiana swamps. As always, I marvel at Joe Gores's command of his craft. In this book, an adventure novel that in the old days could have been a western, he keeps tight control of his characters and situations, with no padding of any sort. The swamp segment is like a fat-free James Lee Burke. A cold and very hardboiled read.

Regards,

mt