RARA-AVIS: Ridley influences...

Ron Clinton (r-and-jclinton@email.msn.com)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:34:14 -0700

A couple quick things about John Ridley (STRAY DOGS, LOVE IS A RACKET, EVERYBODY SMOKES IN HELL) that I thought might be of interest to the group...or at least those that like Ridley's work, as I do.

I attended a reading/signing of his last evening in Seattle. Answering a question about his hardboiled influences, he cited Jim Thompson and James Ellroy as being two influential authors he enjoys reading. He singled out Ellroy's CLANDESTINE as being a particular favorite of his.

Funny, I thought for sure James Cain's name would have arisen. But it didn't.

BTW: The screenplay for the new film, THREE KINGS (about to open...or currently showing?) was written by Ridley.

Ron Clinton