Re: RARA-AVIS: Film of Willeford's The Woman Chaser / Whip Hand

William Denton (
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:02:49 -0400 (EDT)

On 23 September 1999, Juha Lindroos wrote:

: Also, sorta related, has anybody read Willeford's WHIP HAND ? I just
: finished it today and while it had a lot of CW's touches and presence
: in it, it also lacked the finishing touch and is probably the weakest
: (not to say bad, by any means) of his books I've read.

That's the the one that was co-written, where his name didn't make it onto the cover, right? I'm not surprised it was weak, if some other fellow was messing around with it.

I recently read _No Experience Necessary_, and the first two chapters really stand out. I checked, and they were written by someone else.
(First chapter's a sex fantasy, and the second is a little girl telling an old man about a guy in the park who's been molesting her.) After that it becomes recognizably Willeford, and we get what was later cannabilized for
_Sideswipe_. Good book, but not his best.

William Denton : Toronto, Canada : : Caveat lector.