RARA-AVIS: Re: Mickey Spillane

Douglas Greene (dgreene@odu.edu)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:43:02 -0400

 Sure, Spillane was (is) racist, sexist, homophobic, and often fascist--but despite all that, his books have a narrative drive that few othr writers come close to. His writing style, sentence by sentence, is fascinating. For a long time, I said that Spillane was "the writer as working stiff"--that's certainly his public persona; y'know, his statement that no one drinks cognac or wears a mustache in his books, because he can't spell those words. But I think it's more than that. Many of his descriptions of Hammer's mean streets have a sort of muscular poetry . . .