RE: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts on James Ellroy

Mario Taboada (
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

<<I put down Jim Thompson's book "The Killer Inside Me." I just thought it was shit. I honestly think that most noir is cliche.>>

And I would say that the outrageous Ellroy interview is also a cliché® The sad thing is that Ellroy has interesting ideas about the genre -- yet he talks in simplistic terms ("it was shit" is unworthy of a writer of his stature and talent).

Perhaps Ellroy should read John D. MacDonald's comments on Norbert Davis (that he made a bad mistake in despising the genre that nurtured him, in thinking that he had transcended it and gone on to better things, etc.).

=== Mario Taboada

"We will discuss a multi-level, multi-source and multi-focus review whose purpose is to help clarify the structure of the reengineering of operations of our Operations Sector, which is being transitioned to an outsourced function." Anonymous