RE: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts on James Ellroy

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:23:47 -0400 (EDT)

Although I haven't read it, I have heard Ellroy talk about his intro to the UK version of Thompson's Blood Town, where he slags his forebear.

I personally asked Ellroy (at a screening of a German film about him) if the cop in Silent Terror (Killer on the Road's title when I read it) was based on Lew Ford. Ellroy claimed not to have even read Killer Inside Me. This was just a few minutes after he had gone off on Walter Mosley, saying he claims not to have read Ellroy's Big Nowhere (or whichever LA Quartet novel deals with commies), but, Ellroy claims, Red Death was clearly modelled on his book.

Mark