Re: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts on James Ellroy

A.N.Smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:30:58 -0500

Sorry you didn't like Am. Tabloid. Really sorry. I think it's an amazing book. But with post-L.A. Conf. Ellroy, I think it's very much a love him or hate him situation. since White Jazz was the book that hooked me, and continues to be my favorite novel, I'm one who enjoys that direction of his work.

My Dark Places is very good, also. I guess what I've been most disappointed with from Ellroy is his recent GQ fiction, in which he seems to be parodying himself instead of pushing ahead. I'm hoping that changes with the next novel, which he's taken far too long to write.

Neil Smith