Re: RARA-AVIS: prophets of noir

A.N.Smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:57:42 -0500

> They're not quite "gangsters"; they're just homocidal good ole boys, far
> as I can figure.

So I've been reading it wrong all these years. Well, anyway, the church of course had to be in there or it wouldn't be O'Connor. I appreciate the way she handles Christianity in her work--large pictures and loud noise--and it helps me when I write about religion in fiction, which I do a lot.

As for Noir Prophets, 1st inductee: "Oil and Water were the same as wind and air to you. You just slept the big sleep, not caring about the nastiness of how you died or where you fell." Considering who it came from, yeah...

Now I'll be looking for Ellroy and Crumley lines.

Neil Smith Plots With Guns