RE: RARA-AVIS: words

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:01:19 -0400 (EDT)

Tom Tyler wrote:

<<Lest Hammer/Spillane be thought unfriendly to females, don't forget his beloved Velma. He worshiped her, became a stew bum after she disappeared, and eight years later pulled himself together in order to machine gun her adbuctors - commies, as I recall. So he wasn't harsh with all females.>>

All that means is Spillane has a Madonna/Whore complex, where the women Hammer loves must remain pure, while all other women are there to be used. Velda and the murderess are the only women Hammer doesn't screw in I, The Jury. The latter is allegedly because he has fallen in love with her (so she must remain virginal for their marriage), but serves the double purpose of ensuring he remains untainted by her yet-to-be-exposed evil.

Mark