Re: RARA-AVIS: words

A.N.Smith (
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:14:11 -0500

I'm glad someone else thinks that O'Connor should be considered somewhere in the noir world. She was doing what Jim Thompson did and Daniel Woodrell does in quite a few of her stories. And "Good Man Is Hard To Find" continues to be my favorite short story. You've got the dark humor, the gangsters, the guns, the South--works for me.

I can't help but feel she was "playing" with noir in that story, though. I mean, hardboiled gangsters just show up out of nowhere. What are the odds? A more pure portrayal of crime from her would be "Good Country People." What a con man we've got in that one.

Neil Smith Plots With Guns