Re: RARA-AVIS: words

Bill Hagen (
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:59:35 -0500 (CDT)

I guess if we're into doing great hard-boiled lines, that may or may not appear in hard-boiled fiction or film, we should include Flannery O'Connor's bleak line from "A Good Man Is Hard to Find," wherein the killer, after shotgunning a grandmother, says something like, "She'd a been a good woman if there'd been someone there to shoot her every day of her life."

Now that's a line that sticks to you. And many of O'Connors' stories belong somewhere in the noir universe, even if "gothic" was the favorite adjective of critics.

Bill Hagen