Re: RARA-AVIS: women noir writers

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:10:11 -0700 (PDT)

<<would anyone have suggestions regarding good up and coming women noir writers? and not the grafton/paretsky p.i. crowd either.>>

There's Teri White, though I don't know what she's up to these days. If you like noir, you must read her marvellous novels. Her characterization is deep and memorable, and her command of language, second to none
(male or female) in the contemporary mystery scene. I suggest her _Triangle_ as a good starting point, possibly a classic.

Not hardboiled or noir, but excellent nevertheless, is Nancy Pickard, a most underrated writer. She writes with great psychological understanding. If you're tired of the Grafton/Paretsky stuff, Pickard may be a good restorative.

Regards,

mt