RARA-AVIS: Re: Red Harvest

K. Harper (kharper@bgnet.bgsu.edu)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:11:37 -0400

Fred Zackel wrote:

>Somewhere along the way I remember hearing that Miller's Crossing WAS an
>unacknowledged Red Harvest, that the script was a steal from the novel.
>And I thought I heard that on rara-avis. Hmmm.

_Miller's Crossing_ is an unacknowledged filming of every other chapter of
_The Glass Key_, with a couple of "original" subplots thrown in. It's an exceedingly gory picture after the first half hour (after one has been led to believe that, perhaps, it follows Hammett's book to the letter). Some of the acting, particularly that of John Turturro and Gabriel Byrne, is outstanding. It's hard to believe that the producers are really the same brothers who produced the side-splitting but equally larcenous _The Hudsucker Proxy_.

Kathy Harper

Katherine Harper Department of English Bowling Green State University kharper@bgnet.bgsu.edu Visit the W.R. Burnett Page at http://ernie.bgsu.edu/~kharper/