RARA-AVIS: Postman Always Rings Twice; They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

ECFowler (e.c.fowler@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 02:29:06 -0400

Observations from a newcomer to the genre upon reading PART and TSHDT. It is interesting how Caine gives his characters a proletarian bent, but ultimately they are just evil shits. I love the way the writing is short and clipped; very craftful, I take it. And within the genre setting there is a very not so subtle theme regarding obsession. In fact, wasn't there an early Italian neo-realist film, early thrities called Ossessione, based on PART?

Was McCoy doing a DosPassos parody/homage with the sentencing sequence dividing the chapters? Unlike PART, in this one sexual obsession is not here...just an obsession with getting out of straight life, and hit it big in the movies. His vengeance with her for stealing his dream is a little predictable, but not obnoxious.

Am in the middle of Thieves Like Us. Does this title have anything to do with the great song by New Order of several years back?

Tribe