RARA-AVIS: Re: "The Mouthpiece"

K. Harper (kharper@bgnet.bgsu.edu)
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:50:45 -0400

Jim Beaver wrote:

>I now notice, THE MAN WHO TALKED TOO MUCH
>is
>a remake of a 1932 film, THE MOUTHPIECE, which the Times refers to as based
>on a "recent" play by Frank J. Collins. Is it possible that Edgar Wallace
>novelized Collins's play? Of course, knowing the plotline of the Wallace
>novel and/or play would resolve things.

Aha! This casts a new light on things. The 1932 film _The Mouthpiece_ is based on _The Great Mouthpiece_, Gene Fowler's semi-fictional biography of gang lawyer William J. Fallon. Whether true or not, it's a terrific book. It's also still fairly popular and shouldn't be hard to find in any large library.

Kathy Harper

Katherine Harper Department of English Bowling Green State University kharper@bgnet.bgsu.edu Visit the W.R. Burnett Page at http://ernie.bgsu.edu/~kharper/