Re: RARA-AVIS: _Blue Lonesome_

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 06:45:40 -0400

Self-discovery (and/or self-delusion) is a fairly constant theme in Bill Pronzini's non-series books, particularly the last three, of which BLUE LONESOME is, in my opinion, the most accomplished. In his quest to learn more about Ms. Lonesome's malaise, Jim Messenger confronts -- and defeats -- his own. The message is, as Bill Denton points out, a hopeful one.

As far as the town-tamer aspect of the story is concerned, I don't see much of a parallel with RED HARVEST. It's probably closer in spirit to the Spencer Tracy movie BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, but even that's kind of a stretch. It's a far subtler work than either. PB