RARA-AVIS: Future private eyes

Jiro Kimura (jkimura@nsknet.or.jp)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:12:51 +0900

As for the "hardboiled" SF, nobody mentions DOVER BEACH (Bantam Spectra, 1987), by Richard Bowker. This paperback from the Bantam SF line features Walter Sands, a young private eye-wannabe in the post-nuclear war Boston. I translated it into Japanese because I liked it a lot, not other way around.

This book is very difficult to obtain, and very few private eye readers know its existance. The book's original editor went away and the promotion was minimum. This is one of the best future private eye novels around. If and when you read it, you know why.

Another one of the best is KEEPING TIME (1979) by David Bear, featuring Jack Hughes, the only PI in the 1999 (!) Manhattan, where Park Avenue is a slum. I heard there is a movie version. Does anyone know the title of the movie? I have been looking for it.

Jiro Kimura
********************************************* Jiro Kimura Kanazawa, JAPAN e-mail: jkimura@nsknet.or.jp The Gumshoe Site (http://www.nsknet.or.jp/~jkimura/)