RARA-AVIS: Catch Up, Willeford without spoiler

Mbdlevin@aol.com
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:52:46 EDT

I've been traveling, so I'm going to add my two cents on a few topics, each with a different subject line.

First, on Willeford--I would say that "The Woman Chaser" is my favorite. Barry Gifford, a pretty good author in his own right, and the original editor of the Black Lizard series (when it was published by Creative Arts in Berkeley), called "The Black Mass of Brother Springer" Willeford's masterpiece. You can't go wrong with any of the titles that have been discussed here.

Duane mentioned that Willeford has a cameo in "Cockfighter." It's more than a cameo--it's a pretty strong supporting role.