Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett's _Woman in the Dark_?

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:47:30 -0400

Michael Chong wrote:
<<Also, once I came across a copy of an old
>copy of something called _Blood Money_ attributed to Hammett. I couldn't
>skim through it because it was wrapped in plastic>>

You're probably thinking of "$106,000 Blood Money," a Hammett novella that first appeared in Black Mask in May, 1927, and was reprinted in book form in 1943. It is the continuation of a tale begun in "The Big Knockover (Black Mask - Feb. 1927). Together, they tell the story of a double bank robbery and its aftermath. Not Hammett at the very top of his form, but not bad, either. The opening line of "The Big Knockover" is one of DH's best. Incidently, there were a couple of issues of "$106,000 Blood Money" (one by Dell and another by Tower) that omitted the dollar figure in the title. In the late seventies or early eighties, there was a paberback available that contained both of the novellas, as well as what survives of "Tulip," Hammett's never-completed "literary" novel, and a few short stories. Introduction by Lillian Hellman. It should be readily available thru ABE or one of the other bookseller sites. Titled "The Big Knockover." PB
-----Original Message----- From: Michael Chong <mchong@ytv.com> To: 'rara-avis@icomm.ca' <rara-avis@icomm.ca> Date: Sunday, August 29, 1999 12:34 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Hammett's _Woman in the Dark_?