RARA-AVIS: still stumped on the name in Red Harvest

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:07:53 +0000

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, ElectricSuit@aol.com wrote:

> the only hint at a name is Carroll T. Harris, which is told in the
> chapter where he has the laudnum influenced dream. I just wonder if
> there is a name,

The character is referred to only as The Op. However, I do recall reading something a long time ago about a name for the Op (it might have been an Ellery Queen introduction to one of the Dell collections): maybe that reference to a name is what you've come across here.

BTW, the new Hammett collection, _Nightmare Town_, will be out soon. According to the reviews at Amazon, there are seven Op stories included in the new compilation which are not in either the Marcus edited
_Continental Op_ collection or the Hellman edited collection, _The Big Knockover_.

If anyone wants a taste, have a look at http://www.amazon.de where the opening chunk of the title story can be found.

ED