Re: RARA-AVIS: still stumped on the name in Red Harvest

William Denton (buff@pobox.com)
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:22:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 28 August 1999, ElectricSuit@aol.com wrote:

: I just wonder if there is a name, because in the movie of The Dain
: Curse, James Coburn plays Hamilton Nash, but I have yet to see that
: name anywhere in the book and did not see it at all in Red Harvest.
: Maybe I'm just needlessly chasing a loose thread.

He never gets a name in any of the stories, and readers call him the Continental Op. I was wondering how Hammett referred to him in conversation or letters--did he call him the Op, or did he have some kind of pet name? Does anyone remember if any of the bios mention anything about this?

Bill