Re: RARA-AVIS: George P. Pelacanos

A.N.Smith (ansmith@netdoor.com)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:12:21 -0000

martha,

i think he's wonderful, one of the best in the field, and compares to nobody.

He cites Kem Nunn as an influence. I'm thinking that his rambling, "getting way off the plot but who cares because it's so cool" reminds me of people like Frederick Barthelme and Ray Carver. The crime is there, which is a good thing, but the world in which these characters live is just as important.

Better than the Nick Stefanos detective series is GP's "DC Quartet,"--Big Blowdown, King Suckerman, Sweet Forever, and the upcoming Shame the Devil.

best, Neil Smith Plots With Guns (http://www2.netdoor.com/~ansmith)

P.S. I didn't write an intro because I was on the list a little over a year ago, had to take a break for a while, but now I'm back. Editing the hardboiled webzine Plots With Guns. Living in Mississippi, on the Gulf Coast.
----- Original Message ----- From: Martha Fischer <sakana@stlnet.com> To: <rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 6:52 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: George P. Pelacanos