RARA-AVIS: Suggestions for Hardboiled History Book?

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:29:53 +0000

"A.N.Smith" <ansmith@netdoor.com> wrote:

> I don't think it's from the specific to the general to speak of pulps
> when considering the development of hardboiled writing in the detective
> pulps.

It is in the sense that this is an hb list; also, as you say, pulp features in the history of hb because so many hb writers began working in the pulps, so pulp *is* relevant to hb history, but there is *so much else* that is in the vast range that constituted the pulps (western, sci fi, romance) that hb is only a part of the whole. That's what I mean by moving from the particular (the specific category of hb fiction) to the general (the broad medium of 'pulp').

I didn't mean to imply that the pulps are off-topic or that books about pulps shouldn't be discussed.

ED