RARA-AVIS: Suggestions for Hardboiled History Book?

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:28:00 +0000

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, "Martha Fischer" <sakana@stlnet.com> wrote:

> does anyone know anything about hardboiled america : lurid paperbacks and
> the masters of noir, by geoffrey ob'rien? is it strictly a survey, or is he
> able to go into some depth on individual writers and books?

It's a great book. It is a survey, but O'Brien also discusses individual writers and cover artists. The recently issued revised edition is an expanded edition, and space given to some writers is increased.

I wrote a review of this which appeared in Crime Time some time ago (I forget which issue it was in now). You can find a copy of the review on my website. Off the top of my head I would guess that the URL should be
<http://www.ejmd.mcmail.com/obrien.htm> If that's not right, go to the top <http://www.ejmd.mcmail.com> and try the research & publications button.

In addition to the two Haut books already mentioned, look out for these:

David Madden, ed., _Tough Guy Writers of the Thirties_

Out of print now, so you'll have to hunt for a second-hand copy (try
<http://www.abebooks.com>) or find a library copy.

William F. Nolan, _The Black Mask Boys_ I think this (and the O'Brien) is a 'must-have', you should be able to find a copy via ABE for about
$15.

ED