RARA-AVIS: Book stuff

Martha Pennigar (msmartha@earthlink.net)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:30:10 -0400

Bill and Martha, by all means do try Laurell's series. I would recommend staring with the second book, The Laughing Corpse, or even the third, Circus Of The Damned, and then going back to the first. I'm not sure if I would have gone on with them if I had read the first one first, even though it's good. There is another series by P.N. Elrod about a vampire detective which is good, but much, much tamer than Laurell's.

Bill, the author you're asking about doesn't ring a bell with me. The only Sam I can think of is Sam Delazney (Delaney?), who doesn't fit the particular bill we're discussing.

David, I thought Mr. White's Confession was one of the best books I read last year. I was pleased, but stunned, that it won the Edgar; didn't think it would withstand the might of Bloodwork. Interestingly, Clark is not a crime writer. His previous book is In The Deep Midwinter, a kind of love story with a tinge of F. Scott Fitzgerald to it. And his new book is non-fiction.

My colander brain prevents me from remembering who mentioned Stephen Greenleaf, sorry, but I second the emotion! He seems to be one of those soldiers in the army of mystery writers--steady, always delivers the goods, always effective but without the sturm und drang of newer guys. Does that make him old-fashioned or classic? Strawberry Sunday is a very good book.

Martha