RARA-AVIS: Alphaville

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:00:35 +0300 (EET DST)

The most obvious hardboiled SF film hasn't yet been mentioned: Jean-Luc Godard's "Alphaville" (1965). It is (very very loosely) based on Peter Cheyney's Lemmy Caution novels and (very loosely) on the French films starring Eddie Constantine as Caution. Constantine, in "Alphaville", destroys in the near future some kind of computer that controls the feelings of men and women. He reads it poetry (Stephane Mallarme, if I remember correctly)! The film is very much in the vein of New Wave with elliptic plot-lining, jump cuts and film turning into negative all of a sudden and so it's not for all tastes, but there is some imaginative movie making here. One of the best films Godard has made.

After studying Aurum Film Encyclopedia, I found that Matheson's "I Am Legend" was filmed in 1964 in Italy as "L'Ultimo Uomo della Terra" AKA
"The Last Man on Earth" (by Sidney Salkow and Ubalda Ragona). Matheson himself wrote the script under the pseudonym Logan Swanson, but the film which stars Vincent Price isn't very good, according to the Aurum.

But is it noir?

Juri jurnum@utu.fi