RARA-AVIS: Hi fellow Martha

Martha Pennigar (msmartha@earthlink.net)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:40:08 -0400

Welcome to the list. I noticed you live in St. Louis. Do you know the Laurell K. Hamilton series, which is set there? They're usually classified as sci-fi/fantasy, but they could also be considered pretty hard-boiled private eye stuff. The series character, Anita Blake, lives in a present-day, yet alternative, universe to ours, one in which all manner of preternatural beings exist. She has certain powers herself and uses them to solve the murders and mayhem in the plots. Anita's a blast--one of the hardest-boiled dames I've ever read in the genre. She walks the mean streets of her town cracking wise and scattering bullets like raindrops, but has a soft spot for zombies and maybe, just maybe, a vampire and werewolf or two. One word of warning--the covers of the books are awful, the kind that make you embarressed to read them in public. Don't let that deter you, though, from one of the most original series in print.

Martha, too