RARA-AVIS: New finds

William Denton (buff@pobox.com)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:30:30 -0400 (EDT)

Over the weekend I was able to look through some boxes of books destined for the dump, and I thought I'd mention some of what I found

* 19 Ross Macdonalds, all but two or three being Lew Archers
* _Dead Yellow Woman_ (Dell mapback) and _Red Harvest_ (old Pocket)
  by Hammett
* _Operation Fireball_, Dan J. Marlowe (Fawcett Gold Medal)
* _Guilty As Hell_, Brett Halliday
* _The Switch_, Elmore Leonard (has Ordell Robbie and Louis Gara--
  don't they appear in another book)
* _The Drowner_, _Soft Touch_ and _Slam the Big Door_, all John D.
  MacDonald FGMs
* _The Poisoners_, Donald Hamilton (FGM, Matt Helm #13)
* _Danny Dunn, Scientific Detective_, which is not hardboiled at all.

Is Dan J. Marlowe in the general tough Gold Medal style, like Hamilton and Edward Aarons? Looks like it.

All in all, I was pretty happy with what I got. Those books, an Ellery Queen, a Gail Bowen, and a few others will keep my to-be-read pile high.

Bill