RARA-AVIS: Re: Latimer

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:18:03 -0400

Mbdevlin asks:
<<Is there anyone today who is using humor/screwballness like Latimer? I'm thinking of something that is quite violent, bleak, etc., but also damn funny. >>

Well, you guys can delete a few more eggs from my account (when do we vote on pin designs?) but I found Janet Evanovich's first book or so featuring Joisey gurl/bounty hunter Stephanie Plum reminiscent of Latimer's Bill Crane, in the sometimes-jarring combination of goofy, almost slapstick comedy and some rather surprisingly nasty violence.

Of course, what was once considered risque and shocking, back in the thirties, is now considered almost innocent and cute and totally fluff, but the approach is similar. Not that Evanovich has necessarily ever read Latimer (in fact, I doubt it).

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ Now available! Our Summer Issue, focussing on Radio Private Eyes, plus new fiction by Peter Parmantie and Kathy Korty.