Re: RARA-AVIS: 1001 midnights

Bill Crider (abc@wt.net)
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:51:14 -0500 (CDT)

Marian: You got a steal on 1001 MIDNIGHTS. I remember working on it very well, like it was yesterday. Bill Pronzini and Marcia Muller sent out a list of authors to prospective contributors and asked use to choose the ones we'd like to write about. When they'd made their decisions, they sent us a list of our assignments. In most cases (certainly in mine) the contributors were allowed to choose the books they wrote about (but they were the ones who gave the ratings). It was fun to do because I'd already read all the books. As I recall, Max Allan Collins was chagrined because I beat him to Mickey Spillane, but he conned Bill into letting him write an essay on Spillane in addition to my own. Bill wanted to do a follow-up, but he couldn't interest a publisher.

I still use the book all the time, by the way.

And let me say something right here about Bill Pronzini: is there anyone who's done more to promote the mystery? He's done great anthologies, he's done reference books, he's written wonderful stories and novels. And a lot of it, particularly books like 1001, he did for practically nothing more than the love of the genre. What a guy!

Bill Crider