Re: RARA-AVIS: David Goodis

M-T (matrxtech@sprintmail.com)
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 13:29:23 -0400

A thoughtful post, Jay. I like to imagine that Goodis's characters are what Malamud's most shady characters could become if they weren't so completely repressed and bound to their communities and rituals. In Malamud, criminality is usually either latent or petty, while Goodis's characters break out on their own towards final ruin. A quintessentially Jewish form of bad luck is shared by both authors; in Goodis, there is a liberation by destruction; in Malamud, a suffering that does not kill but *never* goes away.

Is this parallel too far out? Let's keep this Goodis discussion going. We should put something by him on the reading list; warts and all, he is a major noir writer.

Regards,

mt