RARA-AVIS: They Shoot Horses

Juri Nummelin (jurnum@utu.fi)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:49:32 +0300 (EET DST)

It's been a while since I read McCoy's novel (but I recall enjoying it very much), but I'd like to remind that the Finnish researcher of hardboiled Jopi Nyman (his latest book on the subject is published in English, but I'm not sure if it's available in English speaking countries; I don't remember the name of the book: he writes about Chandler, McCoy, Cain and Hammett, at least) said that the girl gets killed because she shows active sexuality and according to the hardboiled ideology, sexually active women get killed or otherwise bumped (cf. Chandler's many women, like in "The Big Sleep" (oh God, what's her name?), or any other film noir femme fatale). Maybe this was enough for McCoy and he didn't have to tell the readers why this happened. And they gladly accepted it.

Juri Nummelin jurnum@utu.fi