Re: RARA-AVIS: RARA-AVIS chandler question

Jeff Lander (jeffl@darwin3d.com)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 18:27:00 -0700

I will answer the first question. In my opinion, they mostly self-contained so that it doesn't matter which one is read in what order. There are not too many internal references to other stories so it is not hard to follow the progression.

The exception may be Playback (not to be confused with the Payback thing). It has a little bit at the end that is refers to a previous case but it is not integral to the story too much. As it is the last novel (at least last all Chandler) it makes sense to read last.

I would also recommend reading the novels before the short stories just because some of them were lifted to use parts in the novels. I found it more interesting to read the novels first as they were the most polished. Then go back and read the short stories and you can appreciate how it all came together. This may be just me.

I also have the very interesting "Killer in the Rain" which contains other early shorts that were spun into the novels. Interesting to see how he worked.

I don't know if there is a chronology on the web but I have it roughed out if you want to read them in "order" that way.

Jeff